FOCUS Churches of Albany is a faith-based organization created more than 50 years ago in response to the disruption created by the development of the new Empire State Plaza in downtown Albany. At that time four churches in the area came together to respond to the needs of the community affected by the significant displacement of residents. Since then, the organization has evolved to meet community needs and now operates both a local Food Pantry and morning breakfast program, named by guests the “Breakfast Club”. In addition, FOCUS facilitates collaboration among the six current member churches, “doing together what we cannot do alone”, particularly to advocate and educate ourselves and our community leaders about issues of poverty, hunger and other concerns. FOCUS welcomes partners and affiliates from many faith communities who work together to help raise awareness and address critical issues facing our downtown Albany neighborhoods.
The Executive Director Position
The position is 30 hours per week, including evening and weekend availability for special events and Board meetings. There is the possibility of additional hours, depending on the interest and ability of the candidate in working with staff and the Board to develop new resources and programs.
Requirements: Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree or higher from a recognized college or seminary. The successful candidate must demonstrate that they are well organized with strong skills in personnel management, program oversight, and board relations. The Executive Director must be able to manage budget and financial issues, and development of new resources through grant writing and community support for the work of FOCUS. Strong communication skills are critical within the organization, with the general public and other community organizations as well as staff and guests of the FOCUS programs. Applicants must demonstrate an ability and desire to work inclusively with diverse groups and individuals ranging from the guests of FOCUS programs to partner churches and inter-faith partners as well as the Albany community at-large. Experience with or understanding of church functions, ecumenical and inter-faith issues highly desirable.
Summary Responsibilities: The following is a general overview of the responsibilities of the Executive Director.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible to:
- Administer the operations and programs of FOCUS
- Oversee day to day operations of the FOCUS office, including direct supervision and direction for staff (11, primarily part time);
- Ensure the effective operation of the food pantry and Breakfast Club;
- Develop an annual budget for approval by the Board and manage all operations within those constraints;
- Report monthly to the Board, including operational issues, outreach and development of new funds and resources;
- Ensure compliance with all legal/ regulatory requirements, including federal and state tax, insurance and other laws with respect to Not-for-Profit entities.
- Working with the Board, develop and implement strategic plans for FOCUS programs and initiatives;
- Facilitate new partners among churches and others in the broader faith community, and identify opportunities to partner with other organizations in Albany that share common goals;
- Ensure strong support for the staff and volunteers through training, recognition and other means—encouraging a collaborative and supportive environment to attract and retain a mission driven team.2
- Each year oversee the annual giving campaigns, including direct outreach to supporters;
- Cultivate new support for FOCUS programs through community outreach, grant writing and other means;
- Working with the Development Committee of the Board, develop a long-term strategy for financial sustainability.
Salary and Benefits
Salary negotiable, commensurate with experience. FOCUS offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, retirement savings plan, vacation and other leave benefits.
Potential candidates should send a letter of interest and a resume by June 30, 2020 either via regular mail to: FOCUS Churches, 275 State Street, Albany, NY 12210; or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We cannot respond to phone or email inquiries.